Nordita is the Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics, and its purpose is to carry out research and strengthen the Nordic collaboration within the basic areas of theoretical physics.
Reflecting the Nordic background, the institute has an official name in each of the five Nordic languages:
Also, the five colours in the Nordita logotype have been taken from the specifications of the national flags of the five Nordic countries:
Nordita was founded as the Nordic Institute for Theoretical Atomic Physics in Copenhagen, Denmark, on 1 October, 1957, under the ownership of the Nordic Council of Ministers and located at the premises of the Niels Bohr Institute.
After the move to Stockholm, Sweden, in January 2007, Nordita is hosted jointly by KTH, the Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University. Nordita is housed in two of the buildings of the AlbaNova University Center just North of the Stockholm city centre.
Read more on the history of Nordita.
Until 2006, Nordita was funded by the five Nordic countries Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden through the Nordic Council of Ministers.
Currently Nordita funding is shared between the Nordic Council of Ministers, the Swedish Research Council, and the two host universities KTH, the Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University.
Nordita has been evaluated by external experts at regular intervals through the years, most recently in the spring of 2009.
20 May 2013
This page was printed on 2013-05-24 from www.nordita.org/aboutus